The INL Site vegetation map is a dynamic dataset that may be updated periodically. It is the user's responsibility to insure the most recent dataset is being used. Please contact Jeremy Shive (firstname.lastname@example.org) to inquire about any recent updates to the dataset. Note: The INL Site vegetation map was completed before the Sheep Fire burned in 2019. This region of the map will need to be updated when appropriate field data and recent imagery are available.
Over the past decade, the vegetation map has become one of ESER’s most important datasets and is used to support nearly every other ecologically based task.
Because the vegetation map is integral to the ESER Program, it is important to update the map periodically to ensure that both the vegetation classes identified on the INL Site and the mapped boundaries of those classes remain accurate. In 2017, the process of creating an updated map of the INL began. The goal of this project is to develop an updated vegetation classification and map of the current distribution of plant communities on the INL Site. Our specific objectives included: 1) characterize the vegetation community types present on the INL Site; 2) define the spatial distribution of those community types; and 3) conduct a quantitative accuracy assessment of the resulting map.
The primary objective of the plant community classification was to sample a representative range of plant communities across the INL Site and organize them into meaningful vegetation classes.
The vegetation class list is organized and interpreted within the context of the National Vegetation Classification (NVC). Of the 16 vegetation classes identified in the INL Site classification:
The updated INL Site vegetation map contains 7,637 polygons, of which 7,265 (95.1%) represent vegetation classes. The remaining 372 (4.9%) polygons were assigned to nonvegetation special classes that accounted for only 30.3 km2 (7,478.8 acres) of the total mapped area.
The three largest map classes cover 73.2% of the vegetated area on the INL Site, suggesting the majority of vegetation communities are dominated by big sagebrush (Artemisia tridentata) or species most commonly associated with post-fire communities where big sagebrush was previously present.
During the summer of 2018, a total of 453 independent validation plots were collected and used to support the accuracy assessment of the final vegetation map.
The accuracy assessment results showed an overall map accuracy of 77.3%.
©2020 ESER Program.